Saturday 24 August 2013

Four Saturdays in I'm running behind on the blog posts!

Saturday number two (the 10th) seems a long time ago now. Lois my landlady took me off to the University District 'Farmers' Market. This is a great place to wander around, it's a small market with  'local' produce occupying a about 150ft (?) square. I was a little overwhelmed by the number of stalls selling produce but I bought eggplant, corn (on the cob), cherries, peppers, nectarines, and Squeakers; Squeakers are immature cheese lumps that are very yummy and squeak against your teeth as you bite them! Unfortunately I didn't take any photos so I'll have to blog about it some other time. Sunday I went to a local Baptist church where I arrived late. They are a small congregation a large part of which seem to be one family with a brood of children aging 35 to 15 (?). They also seem to be lovely people and once they realised I was not connected to  a large group who were visiting that Sunday made me feel very welcome. They also sent me a thank-you card and gave me a church pen! I'm struggling somewhat in finding a church with more traditional values but a modern style of music. It seems the suburbs support organ music - which is lovely (especially when played by my previous hostess Laurie) - but requires a certain shift in musical ear that I haven't developed yet... the next note will be a ??? The added challenge being that I'm an alto who usually sings a lower harmony than the melody - I was not made for those high D's and E's.
This is on the way to work, unfortunately snapped a few seconds
late. Sometimes I go on a bus that goes of the big bridge (free way)
other times I go this route... must try and take more photos this week!

The week went well at work I survived my first experiment but seemed to loose all my cells during my first attempt at intracellular staining...At some point I'm going to blog about the techniques I'm using at work but today is not that day...

Last weekend (17th) I went to visit Laurie and John, partly to see them and partly to reclaim the stuff they had kindly let me leave at their house. Saturday morning started with pancakes (hurray!) to be more specific strawberry and banana pancakes from IHOP (International House of Pancakes). Also coffee with hazelnut creamer... IHOP do nice coffee. The rest of the day I learned a little about pickling whilst I was reading. The reading had nothing to do with pickles but Laurie was teaching her friend about it so I listened in a little. Sunday was up and packed into the pick-up for church (with John and Laurie) and then a quick walk in the evening before the week rolled around again.





No comments:

Post a Comment