Friday 1 May 2015

Beautiful Britain

This April I came home for my final trip before my return to the UK in August. I had a few days in England, a conference in Germany, and then a few more days at home before flying back to Seattle. 

These photos are from 9th of April and the 17th of April. They were taken along the Ridgeway, which is an ancient trackway which 'they' think has been used for over 5000 years. Most of it runs over high ground, hence the name, which would have been helpful in the times when the region was one big marsh. The bit I walked is called of Grimm's Ditch which is a ditch with steep sides, what the original purpose for the earthworks was isn't entirely clear.

We had lovely balmy spring weather, perfect for a walk through some shaded groves. There was plenty of wood sorrel and wood anenomes and some violets.
Wood sorrel
Wood anemone and 'friends'

Primroses on the bank

A blanket of white and yellow with hints of blue

The road goes ever on and on...
After walking Grimm's Ditch (a little bit) we went to the river at Benson and spotted a Deer and her fawns. 


Mummy Deerest
...and after that we checked out the river at Cholsey...
Bee on willow

Superzoom! I was about 5-7m from this little guy and you can see his fuzzyness!

Cormorant in their favourite tree
Friday, I headed down to Bristol. Where my sister, nephew, and I held a belated Easter colouring competition. Judged (very well - I won!) by my brother-in-law. We did hide our names when we asked him to decide. 


If you want to join the fun I got these from www.activityvillage.co.uk.
Can you spot the strawberry egg? Impressive for a seven year old, but I'm biased.
I was in Munich for five days but those photos are going on another page. As I flew back to the UK the next week I had a rather nice view of Windsor. 

Windsor Castle from above
Then it was back to Grimm's Ditch...
... down from the door when it began...

Now eight days further into April the road has brought us... not to Mordor but to bluebells!

BLUE BELLS!

Bluebells, Bluebells, everywhere...

Here you can see the ditch nicely the blue is lost in the green and yellow

Also growing around home, many many lamb future lamb chops!

Note the 'saddle back' lamb in the middle
And I'll leave this with a suitably Easter picture of lambs and a background church. 


No comments:

Post a Comment