Tuesday 2 June 2015

Boats and Beaches

Small Engine and the industrial estate by the docks
One of the weekends at the beginning of May I took a trip to Discovery Park again. This time I got off the bus early and walked from midway along the Lake Washington Ship Canal, past the boatyard, and then the Ballard Docks. I walked along the South Ship Canal Trail, it isn't exactly scenic but it was interesting and runs by the train track for a little while. There is also a little set of shops where you can buy fresh fish. Walking by the docks there were lots of piles of interesting fishing tackle and the smell of sea (fish) on the breeze!
 
The boat yard

 During my walk I came across a few baby bird. In someone's garden there were Canada goslings which were cute in an impossibly bendy neck way. Then, I was sitting having a snack in one of the parks when I noticed people staring at the top of a tall pole with a large wooden square on top. It turns out there is an Osprey nesting site at the top of that pole. There was a parental osprey tending some little ones, although the nest was a little high for me to get a good photo of the chicks. 


Canada goslings

Black Osprey

Stretching wings


Also next to the park, right next to the osprey nest, is a steel rail bascule bridge. Whilst I was snacking the bridge came down and I grabbed my camera to get a picture or video of the train, which must have been coming soon... about 10 minutes later when I was walking away the train finally came.  
Osprey nest and rail bridge 
Long awaited photo of the train 

Iris looking lovely in the sun
 I arrived at Discovery Park late afternoon. This time I tried out some different paths, wound my way around some different trees and houses. I came across some beautiful irises and I eventually made my way down to the beach again. During this visit the tide was a lot further out that last time. The beach below the tide line was full of sand covered anemones. When I finally got down to the water it was 'not too cold' and I enjoyed a splashy walk over the waves and saw a large crab. It was all great until I hit a patch of cloudy water, which of course was exactly where all the stones and debris were. Thankfully I survived with only a few cuts on my foot. I guess the crab should have warned me it was a good place to catch some detritus filled crustacean supper. Despite hobbling for a mile or so on dirt filled cuts I got home by bus OK.  Administering some TCP soaked plasters/bandaids ensured a lack of infection. All in all a nice afternoon in the sun and some more lovely memories of Seattle made.



Sunlit tree
Beach at Discovery Park


Anemones breaking up the sand ripples
with bird prints in the background

Lovely sparkly sunlight filled ripples were made for my feet

Big and little boats on the water

Splashy walk

Beware, large crab = lots of crab food

The Lighthouse between North and South Beach

From North Beach looking west


Spring flowers on the sea shore
The woods around Discovery Park
Board walks through the forest are always fun

The sun streaming through the trees

No comments:

Post a Comment