Sunday 9 June 2013

Blown away by blown glass...


This is the street I'm staying on
My building is the one in the middle of the photo
on the left
Freeway park
Another week has passed in the blink of a coffee fuelled eye – I am going to miss the coffee machine at work. This week I also found ‘Tetley British Blend’ in the store ($3 for 80 tea bags) the USA isn’t quite a tea desert after all. This week at work I have been continuing to learn cell staining and flow cytometry. It seemed to be going ok to start with but every day I seem to kill more cells. The death of my experimental cells has been reflected in the number of brain cells I have lost to a fruitless struggle against the Mac computer I have been using for analysis. It has however been a lovely sunny week and I have the photos of Mt. Rainier to prove it! The fountains have also started flowing in Freeway park, I now understand the purpose of all the concrete, which I presume is a mark of Summer.

 


















Mt. Rainier from the bus. It's quite hard to get a photo where you can see it!

On Saturday I had the day to myself and headed into Seattle centre for the afternoon. I decided to go over to the space needle for the first time. This gave me a good excuse to try the monorail.


Monorail (Downtown end)
Monorail (Space needle end)
Room 1 - experimenting with glass and fluorescence
Space needle!















I am waiting for visitors to venture up the space needle but. I had a good time in the gift shop! I couldn’t however resist the lure of the glass sculptures peaking up above the fence around the Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibition. I dutifully paid my $20 (yes it was a lot) and spent two hours staring so hard I made my eyes sore. Chihuly is from this region and produces beautiful glass installations.

Room two - inspired by native baskets

For more information go to chihulygardenandglass.com and/or enjoy the pictures... a picture speaks a thousand words so 30 pictures is getting on for a thesis!








 








Room 3 - inspired by the sea


Room 4 - Persian Carpet




Room 5 - inspired by nature






Room 6

Drafting out ideas


Room 7 - glass chandeliers




Room 8
 

















Greenhouse

 
 
Greenhouse and space needle
 My favourite part was the garden; the effect of the pieces of glass displayed alongside the plants was gorgeous. (I've discovered if I add captions to pictures they move more independently... after this blog will search my settings for a better solution!)
More chandeliers

beautiful blue!

more blue!

orange!

black!
blue!


red!


beautiful!












 

After my eye achingly good start to the afternoon I decided to ditch cultural experiences and souvenir shop! This brought me back to Pike’s Place Market which I actually have some photos of now...





 
 That's all for this time folks!





No comments:

Post a Comment