Sunday 16 June 2013

Lean not on your own understanding...

This week I have been mainly working! So there aren't any particularly exciting photos. I did however go to Costco on Saturday and, because my sister works at Costco in the UK, I took photos! This week I have succeeded in setting up a bank account and a PO box so I feel like I have achieved the main non scientific objectives of the trip.  I'm about to embark on my last week here till August. Wow it went by quickly. I have been working on a number of other posts during the week so quite a lot will go up today.

 
 
This week as I struggle with new knowledge I have been struck by Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge him in all you ways and he will make your paths straight". As postmodern (?) people we are encouraged to lean on our own reason, think about stuff for ourselves, be our own people, be self reliant. As scientists we work as an international web of ideas, the accumulation of the blood, sweat and tears of generations of academics, but we are still encouraged to 'own' knowledge and lean on our own understanding of the facts. As a Christian I take a moment to remember that the weight of the world doesn't lay on my shoulders, that my understanding is a part but not the whole. I don't know it all and thankfully I don't have to!

No comments:

Post a Comment