Sunday 27 July 2014

Berries and Bellevue Arts

An outdoor movie - inflatable movie screen
Thursday I went to an outdoor movie. I've been wanting to go to a drive in movie but actually Seattle doesn't have any left. This was the next best things, a movie in the local park. Thursday was a rainy rainy day but by the evening the rain had stopped. The 'seating' (a field) opened at 7pm but not many people were there. They had a few circus performers from the Cabiri group; a clown/juggler, and two ladies who were stilt walking and did a performance on an aerial hoop. There were also food trucks including yummy kettle corn and a little movie trivia quiz and prize draw. I sat and read for two hours interrupted by the occasional entertainment till it was actually dark enough to watch the movie. Snuggled in a couple of jumpers and wrapped in my picnic blanket I was quite comfy. This Thursday they were showing Gravity. I had seen it before and wasn't sure about a second viewing but it was actually just as captivating a second time. I can now tick 'go to an outdoor movie' off my list of things to do. 

Blueberry farm

On Saturday I had a chance to go Berry picking with some friends from work. We went to a couple of farms just  East of the Snoqualmie river. We started with some raspberries. We had a row to ourselves and slowly picked our way along in the sun. All the obvious berries had been picked but there were plenty at the top of the bushes and hidden under the bottom leaves. I only got a third of the way down the row before, with a tray full, we called it a day. I took about 5lbs worth which cost me twelve dollars. We then went off to pick blueberries. We wondered through the rows and tried some berries from here and there before we settled on our favourites. I picked 3lbs of berries - yum!

Yummy yummy blueberries
View from Evergreen Point Bridge

After I got home my landlady and I set off for the Bellevue Arts Fair. We went across the Evergreen Point Bridge and there happened to be a bridge swing (which doesn't happen very often). Everyone was getting out of their cars and enjoying the scene from the middle of lake Washington so I took some photos. The Bellevue Arts Fair has a section for selected artwork and another area where anyone can set up and sell. The chosen artwork is a mixture of ceramics, paintings, photography, glass, furniture, and jewelry. There were lots of beautiful things. Some of the most interesting were embroidered images that looked like photographs (Inlow), woven glass pieces (Lewanski), kaleidoscope-like images made from repetitive segments of Seattle photographs (LeGrave), metal engraved panels representing the different chemical elements(MacDonald), and some amazing porcelain that looked like intricate shaped antlers (McCurdy). 



All in all a nice Saturday, Sunday I'll have a bit of a rest! 

















No comments:

Post a Comment