Sunday 6 July 2014

Independence Day




To be honest I failed to find any Fourth of July events to join in with on Friday. I was told at work that I should be going to a barbecue to celebrate but that didn't happen. I didn't do a lot for most of the day but I did go out to see fireworks at the end of the day. Fireworks are illegal in Washington except for where you have a permit. My local park sits on the edge of lake Washington and I had heard this was a good place to see the organised displays without getting caught up in the traffic. At 9:30pm I left the house and joined the slow flow of traffic down to the lakeside in the blue dusk light. I could already hear the occasional firework bouncing off the surrounding hills.





As I said fireworks are illegal in Seattle but that didn't seem to stop people. There were at least 10 groups letting off small amounts of fireworks all over the park. Clearly the American public hasn't been scared into only going to public shows by decades of 'Fireworks are Dangerous' ads on TV. Nonetheless I enjoyed the firework around the lake. I tried out the fireworks setting on my cheap digital camera, and was quite impressed with how steady the pictures are. There was also one of the big army helicopters flying around towing a star and stripes flag, which was quite cool but I couldn't get a picture of it. So I'll just leave you with my firework photos. 










No comments:

Post a Comment